> On 18 Jul 2019, at 02:56, Abhisheyk Deb <abhisheyk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> We have a ldap group called ldapadmin defined on our LDAP servers running 389
> Directory Server.
>
> On the LDAP Client side. We have the following line added in /etc/sudoers
> %ldapadmin  ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
>
> We are able to login as a LDAP user which is part of the ldapadmin group and
> are able to get sudo privileges for that user by calling sudo before a
> command.
>
> Now these LDAP Client machines also have a local admin user which has been
> added to their local /etc/sudoers file.
>
> If we get our LDAP Servers down and try to do sudo when we are logged in as
> the local admin user, we are seeing a delay before sudo command can finish.

This sounds like an issue with your client. Can you provide your
/etc/nsswitch.conf file contents?

If you see timeouts like this, you could be using padl_ldap instead of SSSD
which has no cache, and it "blocks". It could also because because you have the
nsswitch lines in the wrong order. For example:

%groups files ldap
VS
%grous ldap files

If you have the first lie (files then ldap), it checks local /etc/group first,
then ldap.

If you have the latter, it checks LDAP first, which will block causing the
timeout, then on failure, will check local files.

So provide this file (/etc/nsswitch.conf) and I can advise more.

Hope that helps!

> When we remove the line  %ldapadmin  ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL from /etc/sudoers, the
> slowdowns do not happen anymore when we try to do sudo as the local admin
> user.
>
> That means every time we are trying to do sudo, it is reading the sudoers
> file and on parsing the file when it comes across the line %ldapadmin
> ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL, it is not able to find this group since it is not a local
> group, but a group present on a LDAP Server which is currently unavailable.
>
> My question is why sudo command is trying to do a lookup for ldapadmin group
> when it is ran by the local admin user? Is there any way to bypass this
> check, because our LDAPClients have the need to have a local admin user. Any
> help would be appreciated.

> Thank you
> Abhishek Deb

—
Sincerely,

William Brown

Senior Software Engineer, 389 Directory Server
SUSE Labs