Hi :)

because of a little copy and paste trouble the package's description
repeats the first sentence of the description at the end of the text,
but I guess this should be the only strange thing for the package, resp.
to be honest, *packages build by checkinstall seems to have a
disadvantage*. It seems to be, that *you need to check out dependencies
by yourself*, Synaptic didn't show dependencies. Please take a look at
the dependencies for compiling, I guess you don't need the VST SDK
headers and you don't need the Linux 'dev' packages, but anything else.

Get the premade package for amd64 architecture from here:

    https://disc.alice-dsl.net/
    Username: ralf.mardorf{at}alice-dsl.net
    Passwort: 64studio

There only is less web space and most times I delete packages also on my
system, it might be, that all packages at this link won't stay for very
long, but especially compiling this package is very fast.

Get latest source code from here: http://breakfastquay.com/dssi-vst/

Requirements for 32Bit and 64Bit Linux installations:

DSSI header
for 64 Studio 3.0-beta3/Hardy provided by the package 'dssi-dev'

Wine 0.9.5 or newer and its development tools
for 64 Studio 3.0-beta3/Hardy provided by the packages 'wine' plus
'wine-dev'

liblo 0.9 or newer
for 64 Studio 3.0-beta3/Hardy provided by the package 'liblo0', maybe we
need 'liblo0-dev' too

Additional requirements for 64 Bit Linux installations:

'gcc-multilib' and 'g++-multilib' are the names of the packages that are
provided by 64 Studio 3.0-beta3/Hardy

Take care to replace the version, if your downloaded version isn't 0.8.

$ cd /path/to/where/your/download/is
$ tar -zxvf dssi-vst-0.8.tar.gz
$ rm dssi-vst-0.8.tar.gz
$ cd dssi-vst-0.8

The Makefil is using
/path/to/where/your/download/is/dssi-vst-0.8/vestige/aeffectx.h, this is
a free header that can be used as replacement for the proprietary VST
SDK header and allows every distro to provide this package without
breaking the GPL.
If you e.g. compiled Qtractor with VST support by
http://lists.64studio.com/pipermail/64studio-users/2009-July/003255.html,
you might have done this:

cp
/path/to/where/your/download/is/vstsdk2.4/pluginterfaces/vst2.x/aeffectx.h
/usr/local/include
cp
/path/to/where/your/download/is/vstsdk2.4/pluginterfaces/vst2.x/aeffect.h
/usr/local/include

And after this you might have deleted /vstsdk2.4. If you want to use the
proprietary VST SDK you need to edit the Makefile, to do this run:

$ gedit Makefile

At top of the script you found this:

# To compile with the VeSTige compatibility header:
CXXFLAGS    = -Ivestige -Wall -fPIC

# To compile with the official VST SDK v2.4r2:
#CXXFLAGS    = -I./vstsdk2.4/pluginterfaces/vst2.x -Wall -fPIC

Change it to:

# To compile with the VeSTige compatibility header:
# CXXFLAGS    = -Ivestige -Wall -fPIC

# To compile with the official VST SDK v2.4r2:
CXXFLAGS    = -I/usr/local/include -Wall -fPIC

Save it and close gedit.

Maybe it's unnecessary to include something that is in
/usr/local/include, because it's a default path, but because I'm not
fine with the options '-W all' and '-f PIC', I guess it is the easiest
way to edit the Makefile like this.

$ make
$ sudo checkinstall

Should I create a default set of package docs?  [y]: n

Please write a description for the package.

dssi-vst is an adapter that allows users of Linux audio software to take
VST and VSTi audio effects and instrument plugins compiled for Windows,
and load them into native LADSPA or DSSI plugin hosts. Plugins run at
full speed for most audio processing, although their user interfaces are
slower because of the Windows emulation. dssi-vst can also be used to
run 32-bit Windows VST plugins in a 64-bit Linux host. To use dssi-vst:
make sure DSSI_PATH is set appropriately, set VST_PATH to a
colon-separated list of the directories containing VST plugins, and
start up your DSSI host. The plugin soname is dssi-vst.so, and each VST
plugin gets a label corresponding to its DLL name.  So for example, with
jack-dssi-host, you should be able to just run jack-dssi-host
dssi-vst.so:MyVstPlugin.dll http://breakfastquay.com/dssi-vst/

You might need to change the architecture from 'i386' to 'amd64'.

If checkinstall won't work for you, run 'sudo make install' instead of
'sudo checkinstall'.

If checkinstall was fine, than you need to run

$ dpkg -i dssi-vst_0.8-1_amd64.deb

I didn't tested if it's fine, the sun is shining here in the Ruhrgebiet
and I won't sit in front of my computer. I noticed for my Qtractor and
Rubberband howto a typo (at least one time I wrote 'rubberband' when it
should be 'qtractor') and unwanted '|-signs' done by Thunderbird, it
might be the same for this howto ;).

Cheers,
Ralf