> Am I supposed to use the 9pcfs kernel on a dedicated machine or just export
> fossil from a "normal" plan9 install.

9pcfs is ken's fileserver.  it is a stand alone deal requiring il.  (and a
patch to
the kernel, these days.)  imho, it is still the best fs out there.

> If just exporting fossil work, could I do a auth/cpu/fs in one box and pxe
> boot terminal and cpu from it or is this just broking the whole idea?

yes, you can do that.  it is not quite the original idea, but it does work.
the downside is that something going sideways in cpu/auth can take out
your fs.  and if you reboot the fs, you need to reboot your terminal.