It copies *and* parses the attachment, but I admit that you have to
be able to keep at least the single mail in memory while converting it
to the new format.

Should this be a problem, perhaps doing what Russ suggested
(fixing upas/fs to let it handle big files) would be the right thing.

In any way, I'd still be converting my mail to the new format, because
of the convenience of having everything unpacked and ready to read,
and because of the space it's likely to be saving in venti.