On Fri Apr 17 16:22:55 EDT 2009, blstu...@bellsouth.net wrote:
> >> I often tell my students that every cycle used by overhead
> >> (kernel, UI, etc) is a cycle taken away from doing the work
> >> of applications.  I'd much rather have my DNA sequencing
> >> application finish in 25 days instead of 30 than to have
> >> the system look pretty during those 30 days.
> >
> > i didn't mean to imply we should not be frugal with cycles.
> > i ment to say that we simply don't have anything useful to
> > do with a vast majority of cycles, and that's just as wasteful
> > as doing bouncing icons.  we need to work on that problem.
>
> I gotcha.  I guess it depends on what you're doing.  I remember
> years ago running a simulation on the 11/750 we had.  It
> simulated a DSP chip running 2 seconds of real time.  It
> ran for over a week.  (While it was running, I took the time
> to write another, faster simulator that was able to run
> the simulation in about 2 hours.)  For something like that,
> we can certainly use all the cycles we can get.  On the other
> hand, I might look for a faster way to compile a kernel
> a while back, but now it compiles fast enough on most
> any machine that I'm not too concerned about where to
> use the cycles.  (I'm speaking of a Plan 9 or Inferno kernel
> here; not a *BSD or Linux kernel.)  But I suspect that
> virtualization and Dis-style VMs are a pretty good use of
> cycles we have to spare.

people's ideas about what's complicated or hard don't change
as quickly as computing power and storage has increased.  i
think there's currently a failure of imagination, at least on
my part.  there must be problems that aren't considered
because they were hard.

as an old example, i think that the lab's use of worm storage
for the main file server was incredibly insightful.

what could we do today, but don't quite dare?