On Aug 6, 2009, at 12:13 PM, erik quanstrom wrote:

poorly.  massive, overengineered, and yet lacking:

http://lwn.net/Articles/344117

Ugh.

A brief apology on their behalf, though. I have been trying to understand the workings of factotum, secstore, auth/keyfs and whatnot for a while and I'm just now starting to get the feeling that I might have a grasp on how all these things work together in concert to do their jobs.

There is a propensity to develop software starting from the interface working backwards to the functionality. When enough people reduplicate a functionality, they decide to move the functionality out. This is what you're going to get when you evolve software rather than architect it. One of the things I have been impressed with in Plan 9 is that generally each layer of abstraction is comprehensive. On Linux there is a tendency to have to keep adding more layers upon the layers. This security framework, for example, relies on D-Bus for communication. The appearance of hal, the "hardware abstraction layer" a few years ago struck me too. Isn't that what the OS is supposed to provide? Maybe it would have been feasible to add whatever it adds if more of the drivers were in user space rather than kernel space.

It's easy for me to object to what they're coming up with but it would be hard for me to describe in detail how exactly factotum + all the other stuff encompass it, and I don't think that the paper we have on factotum or the section in nemo's book are sufficient either. As a devil's advocate, in my Mac keychain I have 13 keys related to file shares and 22 WEP keys. I have my SSH key on 24 machines. Then I have 270 web form passwords or internet passwords in my keychain. Does factotum handle web passwords? I'm presuming not but I don't really know because I generally surf with Safari or Firefox outside Plan 9. I'm not complaining about the browser situation, I'm just saying, it seems to me that the average user probably has more website usernames and passwords than everything else combined. That's certainly the case with me. Could factotum be adapt to integrate with a browser and store web form secrets? If so that would be a compelling objection, since it looks like Firefox isn't going to start using their security framework anytime soon. And who can blame them? It already has a ton of dependencies and porting issues and this can only exacerbate it.

It might raise our profile a bit if someone who has a comprehensive understanding of the security framework in Plan 9 would write a rebuttal to this announcement, something along the lines of "Plan 9: An Integrated Approach to Grid Computing" by Andrey Mirtchovski, Rob Simmonds and Ron Minnich. That paper works largely as a refutation of the complexity of the Globus Toolkit. It would also be helpful to people like myself who are recent adopters of Plan 9 and don't have a comprehensive understanding of the security architecture—perhaps because we've been poisoned by systems like Mac OS X Keychain and SSH.

—
Daniel Lyons