On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Charles Forsyth <fors...@terzarima.net>wrote:

> > things up with standard (as opposed to synthetic) file systems?
>
> why should a "synthetic" file system (actually they are all synthetic, i
> think)
> be considered not "standard"? i thought file systems were the common
> currency in the system.

All file systems are synthetic, some are backed by disk blocks, or other
goo.  File systems are nothing more than a namespace abstraction on X, where
you get to decide what X is if you're implementing one.

This is what I've been trying to communicate to my software development
teams last year, and they very nearly got it :-).

I think functional programming or at least category theory gets you into
these upper level abstract ways of thinking that help with making such
nonsense into sense.  (I'm not sure that last sentence really parses, but
since I've lost my backspace key, there it is)

Dave