On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 07:07:30AM +0000, smi...@zenzebra.mv.com wrote:
> Lucio De Re <lu...@proxima.alt.za> writes:
>
> > Also, you have managed to stomp all over a couple of this mailing list's
> > most sacred cows with your suggestion that the Plan 9 kernel code is less
> > than perfect
>
> Ooh!  No intent to offend.  I actually haven't even looked at the kernel
> code, yet.  I was referring to the bits under /sys/src/cmd/.

No offense taken, sacred cows are usually very thin because they are
sacred :-)

> > _my_ suggestion to you is that you port the code to GCC and do what
> > you like with it there.
>
> You mean port the userspace to GCC?  Or the kernel?  Wouldn't that kind
> of defeat the intent behind Plan 9's redesigned toolchain?  Is gcc even
> supported enough on Plan 9 for serious work?  The docs I've read seem to
> suggest that gcc is kind of "glued onto the side of" Plan 9 proper.

The kernel code, so you can have your paradigms where I assumed you would
miss them the most.  No one cares about user space applications: they
work, why change them?  That way lies a proliferation of incompatible
versions.

And plan9port provides most of the Plan 9 userspace under a plethora of
platforms, so that job is already done.

As for GCC, it's like Linux, you know where to get it.  It doesn't fit
very well within Plan 9 (I have a sort-of-working version I keep as a
monument), so my idea was to encourage you to turn the Plan 9 platform
into something that ought to match your religious beliefs more closely.
There is merit to having Plan 9 supported as a GCC application, but no
one here has the necessary faith in GCC to invest in doing it.

> > Chances are that the the changes you want to introduce are going to be
> > incompatible in some or other manner;
>
> Some, yes.  But most not.  At least not yet.  :) I expect I might run
> into trouble figuring out how to pass around strings containing NUL
> bytes, though.

As long as you don't try to treat them as text strings, I don't see why
you should encounter any problems.  And I fail to see how you would do
any better on any other platform, without resorting to a completely new
string type.

And in that vein, do you want to compare Plan 9's support for UTF-8 to
other platforms' support for internationalisation?

++L