> sounds like a job for pic(1) - A friend of troff. Troff has a > postscript
backend,

pic if fine, but I think it can't do areas delimited by bezier curves, and
filled w/color+hash, does it?

BTW, ps2pdf (it is a part of gs, isn't it?) emitted a (huge) bitmap wrapped
in pdf, last time I used it ... did anything change?

the dichotomy in raster/vector always irritated me
(e.g., why do we have grap/graph, when  a raster/vector backends would do
the work, for all alikes, cleaner, imho)...but it is another story...

Well. I followed the hints given earlier in this thread, and, voila,
everything compiles and links fine by now, the update is on contrib

the  ugly rendering of hash patterns is not due to the porting issues, it is
present in original (gnu-ish) distro as well ... will need some diving into
PS language, I'm afraid...
Thank you all for help,

++pac