On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 10:00:12PM +0100, Rudolf Sykora wrote:

> Note, that neither plainTex nor troff handle cross-references,
> automatic equation numbering, footnote numbering, table of contents,
> etc. Nonetheless, mainly these listed features are often so needed.

Well I use a package called... MisTeX (my own), that is simply some
macros doing this and ridding piggy-back on plain TeX. (And BibTeX
added to kerTeX is compatible with plain TeX; cross references for
pdf are here with a macro file and support from dvips(1); the
footnote are explained in the TeXbook etc.)

But as I said before, this is not for me a religious case. It happens
that I made my way with TeX (LaTeX was not my cup of tea from the very
beginning) without knowing troff.

Stevens' books were made with troff and ed(1) IIRC, and they are
worth reading for Unix/POSIX programming, and pleasant to read due to
their presentation/formatting.

                      http://www.kergis.com/