It surely would not be conformant to Plan 9 systems, but to the protocol?

As far as I can read intro(5), it explicitly excludes slash as a valid
character for the Plan 9 OS, but it also explicitly states that "the
protocol has no such restriction".

Be patient: I'm asking because this could be a typo in the intro(5) man
page, or in my understanding of its phrasing.

Still, using this protocol "feature" to enable atomic directory change
could be useful in my use cases, but I don't want to build yet another
9p2000 extension.

Giacomo