I just learned to love absolute paths.
IIRC, there was no deadlock caused that you should be aware of.
I'ts been a long time and quite a few protocols since then, I can look for the
source; there must be also some docs in the web.
Also, I'm more in favor of prefix mount tables, that they are very different
from what 9 does and they would lead to a very different system.

Good luck and have fun.