> It's useful internally in protocol implementation, specifically to avoid
> copying in transport protocols (for later retransmission), and the
> modifications aren't vast.
> A few changes were trickier, often because of small bugs in the original
> code. icmp does some odd things i think.

that makes sense.  likewise, if it were essentially free to add file systems in
the i/o path,
from user space, one could build micro file systems that took care of small
details without
incuring much cost.  ramfs is enough of a file system if you have other
programs to do
other things like dump.

> I'll see if I wrote up some of it. I think there were manual pages for the
> Messages replacing Blocks.

that would be great.  thanks.

> My mcs lock implementation was probably more useful, and I use that in my
> copy of the kernel known as 9k

indeed.  i've seen great performance with mcs in my kernel.