Let me make sure I'm not misrepresenting this: I have an external USB
drive configured as a Venti device, it is portable to a (small) number
of p9p hosts that have been configured to match its characteristics,
I'm not sure if I actually verified that Plan 9 Venti can also access
it.

I wouldn't recommend that configuration for serious use: first I have
at least one hardware error I will eventually need to address and that
will take some effort; secondly, active Venti on my 32-bit linux-mint
workstation causes shutting down to take tens of minutes - if Venti is
not running, shutting down is as normal as one can expect; then there
is this vacfs issue - which does not occur if I run vacfs on a Plan 9
workstation, to the very same Venti configuration.

Having looked at the USB/SATA hat mentioned here, I confess it is even
more tempting. And what looks really dishy would be the PCI/E,
5-device, ROCK-PI only hat which has only one disadvantage: Plan 9 has
not (yet?) been ported to the ROCK-PI. Take a look:

https://shop.allnetchina.cn/collections/frontpage/products/penta-sata-hat-for-rock-pi-4

seems like a great place to start.

Lucio.