On 2/3/20, hiro <23h...@gmail.com> wrote:

> since plan9 is different we already have host!port, changing one
> program to host:port without changing all the others does not seem
> consistent to me.

I can't argue with that point, except that the ! notation had escaped
me altogether, whereas the : notation is very familiar.

The reason I won't offer to make an effort towards a general approach
is that I'm not sure we won't come up against potential snags or
conflicts. If one can be sure that the risk does not exist, then a
single network address parsing function becomes a possibility.

Lucio.