On 3/18/20, Steven Stallion <sstall...@gmail.com> wrote:
[ ...]

> I've had a lot of luck using venti from plan9port with fossil running
> natively on my plan9 fileserver. I keep a directory on sources (now
> 9p.io) with some notes and example scripts on how to make this work:
> http://9p.io/sources/contrib/stallion/venti/. The biggest benefit to
> this configuration is it makes offsite backups a breeze from the Linux
> host.

Nice stuff, Steven. I found my small Linuxmint workstation not up to
the task, the worst symptom being that shutting venti down takes a
very long time, tens of minutes, I think. It didn't matter when the
host was on all the time, but of late power blackouts have made that
untenable.

What I wish to contribute here is that using an external drive and
configuring it as a raw image allows it to be used (I presume even
shared) between Venti hosts. My most recent (and pretty old)
configuration is this:

$ cat sdb.conf
index   main

isect   /dev/sdb3:0k-20774910k
arenas  /dev/sdb3:20774911k-418906111k
bloom   /dev/sdb3:418906112k-419430400k

mem     80m
bcmem   160m
icmem   256m

addr    tcp!*!venti
httpaddr        tcp!*!8008

Sadly, there is at least one damaged block and I did not have the
foresight to set the drive up as a mirror or better.  It is not
critical, but that would be helpful.

The equally low priority problem I mentioned in the past: vacfs on p9p
truncates all large files on reading. Cinap suggested checking for
mixed-size pointer/integer types, but that becomes a mission. Still,
it is worth doing.

The native version of vacfs works flawlessly and mounts quite
successfully under p9p.

Lucio.