> While it is not yet a concern, I am trying to figure something out
> that does not seem to be well documented in the man pages or the fqa
> about the file systems.

Parts of fs(4), fs(8), and fsconfig(8) can be applied to cwfs.  The
syntax that Ethan talked about for concatenating WORM devices is
described in fsconfig(8).

> I am currently running a plan9front instance with cwfs64x (the whole
> "hjfs is experimental, you could loose your files" seemed to be a
> bit dangerous when I started everything) and I understand that it is
> a WORM file system.  My question is for the end game.  If the
> storage gets full with all of the diffs, is there a way for the
> oldest ones to roll off, or do you need to expand the storage or
> export them or ?  I come from the linux world where this is not a
> feature file system wise and worst case I would have lvm's that I
> could just grow or with repos I could cull the older diffs, if
> needed.

Cwfs doesn't know anything about diffs as such, it just keeps track of
dirty blocks and writes these out to the WORM partition when a dump is
requested.  The plan 9 approach to storage is to just keep adding
capacity since the price of storage falls faster than you can use it
up.

I recently upgraded my home file server from an 80GB HDD to a 240GB
SSD and documented the process [1].  The WORM partition contained 25GB
and dates back to 2016-04-12.  Now, maybe you'll generate much more
data than me over less time, but in this day and age of cheap
multi-terrabyte HDDs and hundred-gigabyte SSDs I think it's still
perfectly reasonable to just keep adding capacity as you need it.

Another thing to consider is how much data you really need to be
sending to the WORM in the first place.  Multimedia, for example,
might be better stored on a more convential file system since the lack
of content-based deduping in cwfs might result in these files being
dumped multiple times as they are moved around or have their metadata
edited.  Even venti won't dedup in the latter case as it doesn't do
content-defined chunking.

Plan 9 is really good at combining multiple filesystems from multiple
machines (running different operating systems!) together into a single
namespace.  My music collection lives on an ext4 filesystem mirrored
across 2 drives (and backed up elsewhere) but can be easily accessed
from 9front using sshfs(4).  I just run `9fs music` and the entire
collection appears under /n/music.

[1] http://docs.a-b.xyz/migrating-cwfs.html