Vulkan (at least its promises) looks interesting though. As far as I understand
it's more like a Meta API, really low-level and it claims to be very portable.
But as mentioned before, the Hello Worlds are really long, apparently it's
rather >1000 lines instead of "just" >100 for OpenGL.

On the other hand for driver development it might be less effort but seems to
have its own pitfalls. (This is the only article I found about the driver
aspect of it: https://lwn.net/Articles/702021/)