what makes it enjoyable hardware? when is it classic? anything that's
older than 10y or what?

it's surely fun to install plan9 on a hundred random computers and get
lucky and have everything work. but that's just not been my
experience.

so instead i learned to be a little bit picky about the hardware
avoiding having to write drivers for everything that doesn't work.

just curious what kind of "classic" you're going for, i wasn't trying
to chastise you. IDE isn't *that* old either. we have other people
playing with pdp emulators.

in my experience with those expensive energy prices where i live the
only thing expensive would be if you keep a lot of PCs running at the
same time 24/7.