On 1/29/22 08:03, ibrahim via 9fans wrote:
On Friday, 28 January 2022, at 10:59 PM, hiro wrote:
why should it be closed source? you're gonna seriously put the effort to remove all the traces of source files?
<clip>
I am consequently avoiding infecting licenses in my projects and my distributions for decades now and those parts of plan9 (9front) which are not conforming are not a big deal to throw away. diff, patch are available in conforming licensed versions.

Ibrahim, this is a big unacknowledged problem in open source.

A solution is proposed at gos.osmio.ch:

***

"Until now, the world of software licensing has been divided into two models: proprietary and open source. That has served us well… or has served us anyway... for decades. But the world needs something better*–* a third way if you will. Allow us to introduce that third model to you.

The *proprietary ecosystems* of Apple, Adobe, Microsoft, Oracle and others are governed. In each case, an identifiable entity, a company, *takes responsibility for keeping the system useful and secure. That’s good.*

Open source software also provides its own kind of goodness. Anyone can put open source software to use, avoiding market manipulation, proprietary barriers, license fees, file format gotchas, hidden privacy erosion techniques, and the rest of the not so good stuff that infests proprietary technology.

Proprietary software might have been OK when your phone was wired into the wall and your “micro” computer was an unconnected glorified typewriter. But now that we all live a large portion of our lives in the digital world, that private, closed governance has us living down on the plantations of the owners of those proprietary platforms.

*So how do we get the benefits of both governed systems and open source systems at the same time?*

The answer is:

*Governed Open Source*

**

Governed Open Source is genuinely a third new category alongside proprietary and open source."

***

GOS includes very old constructs from the physical world such as professional licensing of code auditors and many others. I suggest checking it out.