On Mon, 16 May 2022, Charles Forsyth wrote:
it's void* because that can be assigned between other pointer types without a
cast.x = malloc(sizeof(*x));
instead of x = (T*)malloc(sizeof(*x)); which just adds clutter.
Similarly it's just free(x) instead of free((void*)x); (or free((uchar*)x) as I
understand your
suggestion).

The idea I wanted to share, more as a light chat than as a suggestion
is that I would find more useful to have a generic pointer (with
the property you have just described) with size (the object pointed
to) of 1. I don't expect anyone to be happy about substituting
void*. GNU (and I think clang followed suit) just made the size of
void* 1. I don't really like this because it breaks the concept of
void, that's the reason I talk about char* and uint8*. But I think
I'm repeating my self a lot, so I will silently retreat back through
the hedge.

Regards,
adr.