More info on BlackHat

Caesars Palace Las Vegas, NV • July 28-29 - Day 2
Karsten Nohl
Attacking phone privacy

Our most popular phone technologies use decade-old proprietary
cryptography. GSM's 64bit A5/1 cipher, for instance, is vulnerable to
time memory trade-offs but commercial cracking hardware costs hundreds
of thousands of dollars. We discuss how cryptographic improvements and
the power of the community created an open GSM decrypt solution that
runs on commodity hardware. Besides GSM we discuss weaknesses in DECT
cordless phones. The talk concludes with an overview of mitigation steps
 for GSM and DECT in response to our research, some of which are already
 being implemented.

Suggestion: US law consider interception devices as prohibited to be sold
without a government authorization. So, i recommend to use only "theoretical"
approach on the exhibition :)

Javier