On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> --------
>
> | I'm wondering what is the status of abc's (lack of) ability to handle mor=
> | than one set of chords, alternatives printed above each other? I know tha=
> | yaps had a way of doing this, but is there any plans on getting it into
> | the standard, and does other abc-applications support this?
>
> Perhaps it doesn't explicitly belong in the standard, other than as a
> comment  saying that it's a possibility.  Something that a lot of GUI
> software does is understand \n inside quotes as meaning  to  start  a
> new  line.   That  is,  a  chord symbol like "G\nEm" should produce a
> two-line bit of text, with "G" on the first  line  and  "Em"  on  the
> second.   All  we  really  need  is  for  the software to handle this
> correctly.
>
> Of course, if we really want to tweak the standard, we could also say
> that  something  like "G""Em" does the same thing.  That is, multiple
> chords are explicitly allowed, and should be handled however is  most
> appropriate  for  the  particular app.  A music formatter should show
> them both in some reasonable format.
>
> But I think I'd personally prefer for the \n notation to "just work".

Doesn't matter at all to me. I just really need this. Actually I need this
so bad for my main use of abc, which is entering jazzstandards, that I've
started shopping around for something else, like Lilypond. I've starting
putting together a ambitious (with correct melodies, lyrics
included, right chords) online fakebook, but for it to be serious you just
got to be able to have alternate changes sometimes. Some here might
just say "go away, you don't use abc for what it's supposed to do", but
abc has some obvious advantages over say Lilypond, and only needs a couple
of additional things to be *the* short/compact notation language.

> | Also how are things looking with the (lack of) ability to give you the
> | triangle symbol in chords for major 7th chords, and the use of real
> | accidentals instead of # and b from the chord font?
>
> Not much action there that I've seen.  Maybe we need you  and  a  few
> others to keep bringing it up until people pay attention.

I'll do that as long as I'm around :-)

> I wonder if it might help if someone collected PNG or GIF  images  of
> such musical symbols and put them on the Web somewhere?

I'd love to do that, even right now. I have a an old copy of the
postscript font that Encore uses for all its musical symbols. What format
should I convert them to (size/resolution). I know close to nothing
about postscript, but I'm certainly willing to help as much as I can.
--
Atte André Jensen