>Date: 12 Oct 2000 09:50:24 -0400
>From: Laura Conrad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: [abcusers] Re: abcusers-digest V1 #364

>    Derek> I honestly can't see why this whole discussion is such a
>    Derek> great problem.  Why not simply have two separate key
>    Derek> signature codes, one, K:, that can contain the key/mode,
>    Derek> and the other, k: (say), that can contain the key
>    Derek> signature.  That way you maintain compatibility, nearly,
>    Derek> with old abc files, but have full scope for exercising
>    Derek> personal preference.  Any tune can have either or both
>    Derek> fields filled.
>
>Surely not both.  It would confuse  people if they conflicted.  The
>proposal we're arguing about is that there should be more options on
>the current K: field.  I wouldn't support having a second field that
>provides the same information in a different format.

I dunno, I think having two separate header fields would be cleaner and
less confusing than having several options for the current K: field.  If
the two fields were both filled it provides some redundancy.  If they were
in conflict, you can generate an error message, that would be missed if
there were only one.

>    Derek> Incidentally, I would like to see a 'class' code, that
>    Derek> would include one or more characters, each of which would
>    Derek> represent a class of music to which the tune belongs.
>
>And you can't figure out how to do this with all the current header
>fields?  It seems to me that we already have too many options for this
>kind of thing.  From the standard:
>
>A:area                yes                           A:Donegal, A:Bampton
>B:book                yes         yes       archive B:O'Neills
>D:discography         yes                   archive D:Chieftans IV
>G:group               yes         yes       archive G:flute
>I:information         yes         yes       playabc
>N:notes               yes                           N:see also O'Neills - 234
>O:origin              yes         yes       index   O:I, O:Irish, O:English
>R:rhythm              yes         yes       index   R:R, R:reel
>S:source              yes                           S:collected in Brittany
>Z:transcription note  yes                           Z:from photocopy
>
>Couldn't any of these be used the way you're thinking of?

I suppose I: could be used to categorize the class of the tune, but the
name, 'information' suggests more verbose data than cryptic, single
character codes.

>- --
>Laura (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] , http://www.laymusic.org )

Derek