Excuse the change of subject line, but I didn't think Modes, democracy and
benevolent(?) dictatorship was quite what was being talked about anymore.

Laurie Griffiths says -

> These details have the potential for allowing music
> created by hand and "checked" by one package to be
> unacceptable to another.  Believe me, I found *lots* of them
> out there on the web.

Hey, I think Laurie and I agree on something!

There seems to be a feeling in this discussion that abc has to be either 100%
correct to ensure compatibility or a total free-for-all so as not to stifle
innovation.  Couldn't we try to encourage a culture to make it better even if
it will never be perfect.  Surely it will benefit developers if they don't
have to put a lot of effort into coping with every possible glitch, typo or
obscure one-off innovation that somebody thought was a good idea five years
ago.

By the way, I didn't say that I thought developers shouldn't charge for their
software, I merely pointed out that some of them did.  I think they are
perfectly entitled to; it's an expensive hobby.  I may well do myself.

And as for me not being tactful?  Well, there are a few others on this list
who can give me a run for my money when it comes to calling a spade a bloody
shovel.  Anyone with classical training can't feel very welcome.

Bryan