Isn't the tilde (~) a "combining" space?  Abc2ps treats it that way and I'm
pretty sure it's described in the draft standard.

I use "w: 1.~First..." all the time to put the "1." and the first word of
the line together on the first note with a space between the period and the
word.

John Atchley

On Wednesday, October 18, 2000 2:52 PM, Phil Taylor