What Ted is suggesting is more or less what the Cornell Synthesiser
Generator was designed for; give it a lexis and an attribute grammar
and it'll build you a lexer, parser and structure editor.  (I once
supervised a student implementing an analogue of the CSG in a higher-
order persistent programming language; it worked but you had to be
rather patient waiting for the lexer optimizer to do its thing, and
the GUI primitives available for the editor were a bit spartan).

I am not too sure how much I'd like to work with ABC in a structure
editor.  I've only used two of those, loved one (Steven Vickers' Forth
for the Z80-based Jupiter Ace) and hated the other (a Dutch Pascal-
meets-Logo programming language called ABC with a horrendously self-
righteous Dijkstroid built-in methodology that made restructuring
your code a nightmare).

Is the CSG still around?  Anybody else out there used it?