Frank Nordberg writes:

| Jack Campin wrote:
| > Is "(A)" just the single bass note on an accordion, or what?
|
| I've come across two different uses of parantheses in chord notation. In
| the song books I know, a chord symbol in a paranthes means "change chord
| if you like" (that seems to fit well in this case).

Yup; that's what was intended.  Either chord works at  these  places.
Not changing is probably more "traditional", FWIW.  But on accordion,
as long as you have one finger on the alternate  bass  note  A,  it's
just as easy to play an A chord as a D, and it sounds ok.

| In jazz - especially
| big band, parantheses are often used to imply notes played by other
| instruments, e.g. C7(b9) means "play a C7 chord - and btw somebody else
| is playing a D flat note, so if you want to embellish the chord, you'd
| better be careful with the D natural and D sharp".

| > Is "EmG" a pair of alternatives?
|
| More probably a typo for Em/G, although a G chord does sound quite nice there.

Yes again.  I've gotta fix that one.  The problem is, should I change
it  to  "Em/G" or to "Em(G)"?  Or maybe just "Em", and let the player
figure it out.  It is one of your standard cases where V or  ii  work
equally well.