>> Some tunes are not [sic]
>> sopyright protected, so I've left them out. Also contributors have
>> occasionaly asked me not to include certain tunes,
> I would like to hear the reasons why people do not want to have tunes
> posted.

The point of copyrighting a tune is that you can can only reproduce
it with the copyright-holder's explicit permission.  What their reasons
might be for either allowing or disallowing its free reproduction are
up to them and can only be discovered by actually asking.

That is, there is no point in arguing.  People who don't want their
stuff in the public domain have every right to withhold it without
being dragged into a discussion of the wherefores.  Their rights don't
depend on their reasons.

> And I thought that having them in abc where I could share them would
> be a benefit.
> And especially if the file has my name on it, unlike "copies" of CDs or
> cassettes where  most people neglect to add the credits or composer.

If the tune is fetched by JC's tunefinder in some other format there
is no guarantee it will have your name on it; ABC doesn't presently
*have* any standard way of recording credits (look at the tunes on Paul
Cranford's site for examples of the sort of information that conversion
throws away).  If there were any way to stop it ripping tunes out of
context or converting them on the fly you'd be right, but the likely
fate of any composition of yours you put on the web in ABC right now
is for it to get circulated from hand to hand as "something I found on
the Internet".

BTW, BarFly's macro mechanism has potential as a way of preventing
out-of-context tune extraction.  Define something essential to the
tune as a macro at the start of the file and the result will be
gibberish if anything less than the whole file is retrieved.  Any
chance we can make this part of the standard?