Matt wrote:

>If my posts from Thursday and Friday on this subject have been received,
>please forgive the redundancy. I have seen neither the original messages nor
>any replies appear on abcusers, so it seems that my messages never got
>through.

I didn't see them either, so I guess they must have got lost.

>In 4/4 time, hornpipe rhythm, what is the best way in abc to notate a bar
>containing six rests and notes of equal duration? If there were no rests,
>(3aaa (3aaa would suffice. But if I change any of those notes to rests, e.g.,
>(3zaa (3azz, yaps issues several errors and renders the measure as if it were
>in 5/4 time.

I think that's a problem with yaps.  abc2ps comes with a sample file which
includes examples of rests in tuplets, and BarFly will certainly accept
them.

>Incidentally, are rests in the midst of tuples ever seen in professionally
>printed sheet music, or are they somehow considered "bad form"? If bad form,
>what would be the correct way to display this sort of rhythm?

I don't remember actually seeing a piece of music with this feature,
but I don't see anything wrong with it in principle.

Phil Taylor