| Laura wrote:
|  > Also try:
|  > %%staffwidth 6.5in     % width of staff
|
| BINGO! That did the trick. Thank you very much.
|
| Also thanks to Robert, John, Wil, Simon, and Phil for the various
| suggestions and clarifications. I intend to explore and get
| comfortable with the use of format files in the future, although
| Laura's suggestion is simpler and sufficient for my present needs.

It might be useful to use this to see if anyone is  interested  in  a
more  general  discussion of the topic of such formatting directives.
One thing that has occurred to me is that there's  one  little  thing
"wrong"  with how abc2ps do this.  It has generally be suggested that
the %%-style directives start with a keyword that identifies the sort
of  program  that  handles  the  directive.   In the case of abc2ps's
formatting directives, it doesn't do this.  Some other programs  have
used  this  approach, as you can see from all the abc files that have
%%MIDI directives. But the abc2ps %% formatting lines aren't labelled
as  such,  and  are  just  a jumble of keywords that have no apparent
relation to each other.

It seems to me that it might be a good idea if the various clones  of
abc2ps  were  modified so that their formatting directives start with
%%fmt, where the case is probably not significant. This would make it
obvious  that  1)  these are dealing with formatting, and 2) they are
related to the things that can go in .fmt files.   Also,  this  would
eliminate the possibility of collision with someone else's %% lines.

I've been tempted to do a minor hack to my abc2ps clone so that  this
syntax  is accepted along with the current syntax, with the idea that
I'd start the process of hunting down all these directives and adding
the "fmt " chars to them.  We could start a campaign to get others to
do the same, with the idea that we would  eventually  phase  out  the
older syntax.

One advantage of using %%fmt would be that it clarifies the task that
these  lines  are dealing with.  It would probably also encourage the
authors of other software to implement the same  syntax  when  it  is
appropriate.   And  it might get a side discussion going on just what
sort of music-formatting directives we'd really like  to  have  as  a
subset of the standard. Standardizing these directives somewhat could
be useful to a lot of users.

This set of directives was invented my Michael  Methfessel,  who  was
the author of the original abc2ps that's being cloned by everyone.  I
think he'd agree that it was a prototype effort that could still  use
some work.