Hello,

Richard Robinson wrote:
(...)
> I dunno. Personally, since I need such a numbering scheme, I'm using a
> %%ID:xxxxxxxx line, on the grounds that it won't conflict with any
> accepted usages; and when I get that sorted out and it reaches my
> web-collection I'll use another such '%%' line for the 'base' collection,
> or maybe (probably) to form a URL. Such a scheme will never be more than
> one person's particular addition unless the writers of the software in use
> choose to incorporate it. Even then there's always "the John Chambers
> Case" - people who read ABC directly and can't even be bothered to include
> an X: line :- but we can't do anything about that :)

I think its quite clear that it is impossible to enforce whatever
numbering scheme to all abc format users, so the only question is if we
can find a solution that is based on an agreement of a large number of
abc collection owners (and programmers) an so reasonable and open that
others join it because they find the agreement sensible.
It could be something like the identification system in librarys,
probably made up the same way (are there librarians out there ?). And
the main problem will still not be solved, that nobody can stop people
from stripping off all this usefull information when copying the source.
Besides this there is a big problem with altered files in general: If I
change the apperance of the abc text - like I do it regulary - "whose"
file is it then, if I correct or alter the abc text - the music - what
happens then ?
Again we could - and should - make up a code of conduct for this cases
but there is no way of enforcing this, just the personal decision to
follow the rules for the sake of a better world ;-) .

An unique ID has to be long: if there are collections which include
large sources ("1001 tunes..." or many tunes of the same kind, one needs
at least four digits to to idenify them within the file or collection,
and if there are more sources or kinds of tunes, at least three digits
for identifying them (better more). If we use letters and numbers for
identfying the "place", "person"  or "collection" three digits for this
purpose will not be enough if we do not want people to use names like
"7QX". So, at shortest a ID has to allow at least eleven digits and, if
we want to make these ID's to give further information (person,
collection, area ...), eleven will surely not be enough.
I opt against Zip codes or geographical names in an ID as they lose
their meaning in the same way that URL's do when the person moves.

To avoid double use there has to be a record of ID's which are in use or
had been used in the past (also this record could contain information
about the author like suporting the actuall URL; this record must be at
a "save place" in the net, available for a long period of time).

So, I find this idea interesting, but I think this must be discussed and
planned in long terms.

regards,

Simon Wascher - Vienna, Austria

Example

thats what I got:

X:1
T:Valse à Delsay
R:valse
S:"Culture Populaire et Loisirs", Poitou
M:3/4
L:1/8
K:G
D2 |GDB,DGD|BDB,DGD|B2 ADFA|G2 B2 D2 |
GDB,DGD|BDB,DGD|B2 ADFA|1 G4  :|2 G3
|: DGB|d2 dedc|B2 GDGD|c2 ADAD|B2 GDGB|
d2 dedc|B2 GDGD|c2 ADAD|1 G3:|2 G4 ||

thats what I made up for me, and passed on for playing purposes:
X:2
T:Valse à Delsay (adaptiert fuer sack-pfeife)
R:valse
S:"Culture Populaire et Loisirs", PoitouZ
Z:original abc transcription by Stephan Steiner
N:adaptiert by Simon Wascher
M:3/4
L:1/8
K:G