--------

Simon Wascher schrieb:
| Why do'nt you use the P:field within the tune body for the "Reprise"
| text?
| To my personal understanding I always wonder why someone created a field
| that organizes the playing order and does not allow the usual part and
| playing order terms to be used within.

As far as I can tell,  Chris  never  said  that  such  things  aren't
allowed.   He  merely described the two kinds of P lines, and gave an
example of their use in one kind of music  (Morris  dance).   When  I
first  read this, my immediate reaction was that P could obviously be
used for such things as P:Intro or  P:Trio.   There  was  nothing  in
Chris's documentation to discourage this.  I was a bit surprised when
I found that some people interpreted Chris's one example  as  meaning
that nothing else is allowed.  These are all valid interpretations of
the English term "part", after all.

| In fact, the P: field mixes up two things in an unfortunate way: P: as
| in part P: as in playing order (of these parts)

Chris's original documentation made it clear that P in the header and
P within the tune had different meanings. He didn't say much more. It
was pretty obvious that P lines in the music should contain only  one
symbol  that named that part, and the one P line in the header should
contain only the symbols used in the music section.  How such  things
as  repeats were indicated was left unstated (possibly partly because
the Morris dance crowd isn't even very consistent about this).

| $ Example: P:[Einleitung][1.][1.][2.][2.][1.][Ausgang]

Less messy would be to just use either of:
  $ Example: P:Einleitung,1,1,2,2,1,Ausgang
  $ Example: P:Einleitung 1 1 2 2 1 Ausgang

These are both unambiguous and more readable.  And, given  the  large
amount  of ABC that is hand-typed (by people who can't even bother to
include an X line ;-), this is probably what  you'll  see  no  matter
what  a future standard may say.  Remember that ABC is used as a sort
of musical shorthand in person-to-person communication; it isn't just
a computer notation. There are people who read and write ABC directly
and don't use any ABC software.

We might also note that Chris's original descriptions dealt only with
abc2mtex, which is a music formatter. Like abc2ps, it doesn't need to
understand P lines; it only needs to recognize them and copy the text
to  the  right  place on the output page.  For such programs, there's
little need to standardize what text can be on a P line.   It's  just
text, with no actual meaning.  However, we also now have ABC players,
and they do need to understand P lines.  So  we  should  probably  be
concerned with making the syntax as simple and parsable as we can, if
we want it to actually be implemented consistently.