James Allwright wrote:

>Some time ago I toyed with the idea of creating an intermediate level
>format (ILF) which would make it easier for developers to create new
>tools. We would then have separate programs for
>
>abc -> ILF
>ILF -> PostScript / Display on Screen
>ILF -> MIDI
>
>The idea is that the ILF is read and written by computer and designed
>to be very simple to parse. All this seemed like quite a lot of work,
>so I never got very far.

Yes, I thought about that too.  It's an appealing idea, but the problem
is that the ILF has to be very comprehensive because it has to represent
absolutely anything which is found in music, otherwise future extensions
to abc will invalidate it.  You end up with something which is just as
hard to parse as abc.  In the end I wrote two separate parsers for BarFly,
the only common code being the basic stuff which retrieves field contents
from the header.

What did you have in mind for the output of your library Taral?

Phil Taylor