The trouble with propositions of this kind is that they tend to
come from users who have experience with a very limited number
of programs and usually on only one platform.  What is being
proposed here is that we all use abcm2ps syntax (plus a few
enhancements) and abandon all other approaches.

This is very nice for people who use abcm2ps (we all like what
we know), but utterly unacceptable to those who are familiar
with a different program.

If you really want to put forward a serious proposal for features
to be added to a new standard you must first study _all_ of the
existing programs, and come up with something which minimises the
changes which have to be made to all of the existing code and
invalidates as few as possible of the published abcs.

It's not easy work, but you could start by reading the multivoice
document whose url I posted here yesterday:

http://www.barfly.dial.pipex.com/multivoice.txt

This actually covers more than just multivoice, it covers the
major features of all the programs which currently support the V:
field, and so deals with clefs, transposition, the use of the
continuation character and its interaction with he w: field etc.

Resolving the syntax differences between different programs is
probably going to require that we allow multiple formats.  For
example, I have no intention of abandoning the intuitive way
in which BarFly specifies the layout of staves, clefs and merging
of voices in favour of the cryptic %%staves directive.  Likewise
Jean-François will be reluctant to invalidate all of his music
by ruling out its use.  The real solution is to have both programs
recognise either format, and leave it up to the users to choose
whichever they prefer.  That won't happen unless both formats
are legitimated by inclusion in a new standard.

Phil Taylor