Anselm Lingnau wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phil Taylor) writes:
>
> > One thing I might suggest though.  If we do get a new draft standard
> > out of this, please developers DON'T WRITE A LINE OF CODE UNTIL
> > A VOTE HAS BEEN TAKEN AND THE STANDARD BECOMES OFFICIAL.  Writing
> > code sets the mistakes in stone; we have to be sure that there are
> > no serious mistakes in what is proposed, and if that requires very
> > prolonged discussion so be it.
>
> Actually I think this is the wrong way round. Nothing should go in the
> standard unless it has been proved that it is actually implementable
> with reasonable effort.

You must always begin with the idea of an ideal world, Anselm!
I'd say the best way of working would be: first we find out exactly what
we really want, then we see if it's actually possible and make the
modifications required by reality (that is the limitations of
programming languages), *then* we drag out the stone tablets and write
it down for eternity.

Frank Nordberg
http://www.musicaviva.com