Kathy Mulvey wrote:

>Am I correct in my reading of the documentation of ABC (I use the
>http://www.gre.ac.uk/~c.walshaw/abc/ site) that a clef indication is a
>commonly available extension to the K keyword, but is not part of the real
>1.6 standard?

Yes.

>I was just wondering if there was any way to indicate that the treble clef
>was transposed an octave, using the 8 indication above or below the G-clef
>symbol. It's not mentioned at all in the extensions section of Steve
>Mansfield's ABC tutorial, so I was wondering if it was just not available.

Depends which program you are using.

In BarFly and (I think) Muse you can add transpose = -12 or T=-12 (or +12)
to the K: field to do this.  BarFly supports the treble, alto, tenor
and bass clefs plus the eight clefs used in Gregorian chant, Muse does
something similar.  The abc2ps familiy of programs and yaps support treble,
alto and bass clefs, but I don't think any of them will do the ottavo
mark.

>(I also see I've stumbled on to the list at a time when there's much
>discussion about moving on to a new standard. I wish you all the best of
>luck with the process.)

Thanks!

Phil Taylor