On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Laurie Griffiths wrote:

> I'm not 100% sure what the right default is in the absence of a
> "beat=".  Is it the L value (explicit or implied)?

I'd rather stay away from L:.  A quick look through some of my collection
shows that it would give the wrong beat more often than not.

It could be treated as an error, but I would rather take a reasonable
guess and give a clear warning instead.  Perhaps this should be left up to
the software, though.

In any case, here's a fairly simple rule that would be right "most" of the
time.  Given a meter of Y/Z:

1. If Z is less than or equal to 4, beat=1/Z
2. If Z is greater than or equal to 8:
   a. If Y is evenly divisible by 3, beat=3/Z.
   b. Otherwise, if Y is odd, beat=2/Z (or 1/(Z/2)).
   c. Otherwise, beat=1/Z.

Examples:

   2/2 time, beat=1/2 (rule 1)
   3/2 time, beat=1/2 (rule 1)
   2/4 time, beat=1/4 (rule 1)
   3/4 time, beat=1/4 (rule 1)
   4/4 time, beat=1/4 (rule 1)
   4/8 time, beat=1/8 (rule 2c)
   5/8 time, beat=1/4 (rule 2b)
   6/8 time, beat=3/8 (rule 2a)
   7/8 time, beat=1/4 (rule 2b)
   9/8 time, beat=3/8 (rule 2a)
   12/8 time, beat=3/8 (rule 2a)
   etc.

For M:none, assume beat=1/4.

I would also suggest that once established, the beat should NOT change,
even if the meter changes, unless accompanied by an explicit "beat=" or
another Q: field.

John