At 08:12 PM 11-15-2001 +0000, Steve Mansfield you wrote:
>Anselm Lingnau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote :
>>A lot of Playford stuff is available from the US Library of Congress
>>(they have a special page on the history of dancing, the URL of which
>>escapes me right now), so one could go back right to the original
>>sources to make sure that the ABCs in question are `uncontaminated'.
>
>That's exactly what I did for my Orchesography transcription - although I
>was primarily working from a printed source, anything I thought might be
>editorial to that edition was checked back to the facsimile on the Library
>of Congress site, as I thought 483 years was probably long enough for
>Jehan Tabouret's copyright to lapse.

Fortunately for me, the Dover edition of Orchesography claims that the
illustrations and music included in the text are facsimiles of Jehan
Tabouret's original artwork, so I have no problem coding from those.

Unfortunately, the available editions of Playford I've been able to find
currently available for commercial purchase have all the music transcribed
to modern notation.  I'd rather not double-check one person's
interpretation/transcription using another secondary source of unknown
copyright.  The complete Dancing Master website is an amazing piece of work
which I have found in the past to be a valuable resource, but the scans of
the music are too small to be useful -- when I can't tell which end of a
quaver is the note head and which is the flag, it is of limited usefulness.

>Now all we need to do is get a working party to abc all the *rest* of the
>stuff on the LoC site :-)
>
>Start at
>
>http://memory.loc.gov

Playford there has good-quality scans that are very readable with clear
music.  My only problem is the selection -- it only has volume 2 of the 4th
edition.  It's better than nothing, but I'd prefer more.

>and follow your nose from there.

Will do.