James Allwrite wrights:
| Reading this post gave me a sense of deja vu.
| In practical terms, I think we are talking about having different fonts
| for different things in a printing program. I also think we have to assume
| that a player can use context i.e. infer a meaning from a word, which
| is presumably how they did things in the old days of handwritten
| manuscripts.
|
| yaps supports ! ! for "musical instructions" which seems to be the closest
| thing to a text tempo field and, yes, you can give it its own font.

For a long time, abc2ps has  supported  both  metronome  and  textual
tempo indicators in the Q header fields.  Thus, one of the test tunes
included with the source (Sentimental Journey) has the line:

   Q: "Easy Swing" 1/4=140

The quoted text is displayed as-is, while the 1/4 is converted  to  a
note  in the usual fashion.  The program doesn't care about the order
of the contents.  There is a tempofont that can be used to make  such
text visually distinct.

Now that inline headers are becoming semi-standard, the  obvious  way
to do an inline change of tempo would be with something like:

  ... [Q:"accelerando"] ... [Q:1/4=116] ...

I did a quick test, and while abc2ps doesn't complain about these, it
also doesn't display them. Another check with debug output shows that
these inline Q fields are in fact parsed; the  problem  is  that  the
output code doesn't see the results.

I also tried it with the Q fields on  their  own  lines,  with  \  to
produce  joining.   In  this  case, the Q contents were all displayed
properly, but there were staff breaks at the Q fields despite the use
of  \  to  produce  a  single staff.  So both methods are accepted by
abc2ps, but both have bugs.

In any case, abc2ps doesn't play the tunes, so it  doesn't  have  any
need  to  understand such quoted text.  All it needs to do is display
everything properly.

Maybe I'll do a bit more debugging, and try to find a few cases in my
own music to take advantage of all this.  I do have a few tunes where
such tempo changes could be useful.