>| the 9/8 march "Heights of Dargai" has the form ABAC DBDC, and I've
>| seen that in a modern book (in two staff lines) as
>|     [1,2 A  [1,3 B :|
>|     [3,4 D  [2,4 C :|
>| which was remarkably readable ...
> That's wonderful notation! I'm  gonna  have  to  find  some
> excuses to use it.
> You wouldn't have that tune still around,  would  you?   It
> might  make a good example to throw into a test collection.

Here are two ways of representing it.  The first is what I use.  The
second has an ABC layout exactly corresponding to the book, and plays
correctly in BarFly, but I can't use it yet because the program still
prints the part labels in the wrong place (fixable by a crude hack if
you write the barline on the wrong side of the "[P: ]", but I'm not
about to perpetrate ABC like that where anybody else might read it)
and also doesn't yet display the header P: line anywhere.

X:1
T:The Heights of Dargai
M:9/8
L:1/8
K:Hp
e|A>Bc e3 c2e |f>df e3 c3|a>gf e3 [1 A>ce|f>ec B3 B2:|\
                                  [2 B2e |c>Bc A3 A2||
B|A>Be f3 f>df|a>gf e3 c3|a>gf e3 [1 A>ce|f>ec B3 B2:|\
                                  [2 B2e |c>Bc A3 A2|]

X:2
T:The Heights of Dargai
M:9/8
L:1/8
P:ABAC DBDC
K:Hp
[P:A] e|A>Bc e3 c2e |f>df e3 c3|[P:B] a>gf e3 A>ce|f>ec B3 B2|]
[P:D] B|A>Be f3 f>df|a>gf e3 c3|[P:C] a>gf e3 B2e |c>Bc A3 A2|]

I can't remember what the book was.  The Scots Guards book takes four
lines over it.

An additional complication is that some bands play each part twice,
i.e. the header would have  "P:ABAC ABAC DBDC DBDC".

As played by non-pipers, the last two notes of each line are always
tied.