Jack Campin says -

>repeat signs are bars,

I don't think so.  At a quick glance, seven out of the first twelve tunes in the Northumbrian Piper's Tune Book have repeat symbols that don't coincide with bars.

>Also, if you want to reorganize the line breaks, you have to edit the
>adjacent :| and |: signs into a single :: (after all, :||: is illegal).
>This is a silly timewaster.  If you're changing line breaks you shouldn't
>be forced to change anything *but* line breaks.

I can't find anything that says that :||: is illegal.  That just follows from assuming they are barlines.  I would have thought that the same would apply to section start and end.

For instance, I want to be able to do this -

X:1
T:Brighton Camp
I:abc2nwc
M:4/4
L:1/8
K:G
|:gf|e2dc B2A2|B2G2E2D2|G2G2GABc|d4B2gf|
e2dc B2A2|B2G2E2G2|FG A2D2EF|G4G2:|
|:dc|B2d2e2f2|g2dc BA G2|Bc d2e2f2|g4f2gf|
e2dc B2A2|B2G2E2G2|FG A2D2EF|G4G2:|

Leaving out the first |: would be no problem but I prefer to keep the second.  Insisting that repeat symbols coincide with barlines produces something like -

gf|:e2dc B2A2|B2G2E2D2|G2G2GABc|d4B2gf|
e2dc B2A2|B2G2E2G2|FG A2D2EF|1G4G2gf:|2G4G2dc|]
B2d2e2f2|g2dc BA G2|Bc d2e2f2|g4f2gf|
e2dc B2A2|B2G2E2G2|FG A2D2EF|1G4G2dc:|2G4G2|]

   which is unnecessarily complicated and ambiguous about where the repeat of the second half starts.

Bryan Creer