> are nested repeats common in serious music?   "Serious" not meaning
> classical, just that someone is seriously expected to read it

The obvious example is strophic songs.  The way these are often
transcribed, they are a good case for an extended-repeat notation,
because folklorists like to write down small variations in specific
stanzas.  But there's more to it than that since nearly all ballads
have internal repeats within each stanza.  As you might represent
it with a nested repeat (here without stanza variation):

X:1
T:The Outlandish Knight
B:Northumbrian Minstrelsy
M:6/8
L:1/8
K:Eb
[|18:|: B   |BcB efe|dBB B2
     [1 B   |BcB edc|B3- B2:|
     [2 G/A/|BCB AFD|E3- E2|]:18|]

I suppose P: allows for much the same expressive power.

> Hmm...before even thinking about nested repeats, how about making
> segnos and codas work?

Absolutely.  But perhaps nail down the extended-repeat thing first?
We seem to covered most of what's involved.