Bob Archer wrote:
| At 04:09 AM 2/6/2002 UTC, John Chambers wrote:
| >What seems to have happened is more or less consistent with the  past
| >work on abc. The (semi-official) standards committee started with the
| >idea that what it needed was a clear formulation of abc  version  1.6
| >as a standard, and has worked on codifying that.  ...
|
| I'd agree with this if the standards committee was actually producing
| anything at all, but as far as I can tell they're not. I don't think
| we've even been able to get a statement out of the committee as to
| whether the committee exists or not (which I guess is one of those
| questions where a non-answer also answers the question). Given that
| the 1.6 standard has been out for years and not been superceded my
| suspicion is that the standards folks will never catch up.

Maybe. I am (was ;-) on the committee, and I haven't heard many peeps
lately.  I don't consider myself one of the "drivers", as I'm clearly
one of those radical types who thinks that abc should be extended  to
handle other kinds of music.

Anyhow, I wonder how many proposed ABC standards we have now?  I have
a copy that's probably a bit dated at:
  http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/doc/abc-draft.txt
How  many others are online?  I suspect that the ABC standards effort
have branched more than has abc2ps.

One of my favorite wise-ass quips is:

  One of the great things about standards is that we have so many  to
  choose from.

Some time back, I started work on something different: A sort of "ABC
extension  summary" that includes whatever public standard info I can
get my hands on,  plus  whatever  I  can  learn  about  existing  and
proposed  extensions.   I  haven't  mentioned  this to anyone, partly
because it's mostly for my own sanity.  But maybe I  should  make  it
public,  and  see  if I can get a discussion going about how specific
musical ideas can best be handled within abc's narrow focus.

One part of this is online:
  http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/doc/ABCtut_Features.html
You'll note, however, that most of the spaces are blank.   I  suspect
that  the non-black spaces might not all still be accurate.  It's not
easy to maintain up-to-date info on such things.