> I accept The Cuckoo's Nest,  Jacky Tar, The Red-haired Boy, and Gilderoy
> as cousins but I can't see the resemblance to King of the Fairies.

The first halves are almost the same:

X:1
T:Gilderoy
% Nottingham Music Database
N:from a file called "ReelsD-G.abc" that I had lying about -
N:transposed, chords removed, default note length halved.
S:via PR
M:4/4
L:1/8
K:E Minor
B,2|E2 EF GFGA|BcBG A2GA|BAGF  EFGE|F^DB,B, B,2B,D|
    E^DEF GFGA|BcBG A2GA|Be^de BAGF|G2 E2   E2   :|
Bc |d2 de dcBc|dcBG A2GA|BAGF  EFGE|F^DB,B, B,2B,D|
    E^DEF GFGA|BcBG A2GA|Be^de BAGF|G2 E2   E2   :|

X:2
T:King of the Fairies
N:off an old xeroxed sheet: the same as what everybody round
N:here plays, except that whether you repeat the second part
N:is a matter of contention.
M:4/4
L:1/8
K:Emin
B,2|EDEF GFGA|B2B2 G3 A|B2E2     EFGE    |FGFE D3B,    |
    EDEF GFGA|BAGB d3 c|B2E2     GFED    |E6          :|
K:Edor
zd|e2 e2 Bdef|gagf e3 f|e2   B2  BABc    |dedc Bc (3dcB|
   e2 B2 Bdef|gagf e3 f|gf (3efg fe (3def|e2ed e3f     |
   g2 ze f2zd|edBc d3 e|dBAF     GABc    |dBAF GFED    |
   B,2E2 EFGA|B2e2 edef|e2B2     BAGF    |E6          :|

Now I come to look at it again, the second half of KotF sounds less
Irish than it did - it's similar in style to the kind of variations
James Oswald published in the "Caledonian Pocket Companion" (1740s).