Jack Campin wrote:

> This one is the signature tune of the Edinburgh Shetland Fiddlers.
> They think it's Norwegian but nobody can remember where they got
> it from.  Ideas?

Sorry, Jack. here are lots of Scandinavian tunes similar to this one,
but I can't think of anyone who really matches.

If it's of any help, it sounds like a hopsa to me, which - together with
the Shetland connection - probably means it's from South-Western Norway.
If the "hoy" is an attempt to approach the original pronounciation, we
can narrow the area down even further to the Hardanger region. (In the
rest of the country we tend to pronounce "hey" (or "hei" as we spell it
- almost the same way as you do in English.)

I guess that's all I can say about the tune at the moment. I'm going to
ask a few friends, though. Maybe they can come up with some more.

Frank
http://www.musicaviva.com