Jack Campin wrote:

>> Is there an application to reduce accidentals (i.e. change __a to =g)?
>> I know that double sharps and double flats exists to be used but
>> sometimes it's easier to read music without them.
>
>BarFly's search and replace can do that, if you really want to.

Not very convenient, since you'd have to do a separate replace operation
for every pitch.  You could probably do it with an editor which supported
selection expressions like MPW shell, and I'm sure the unix guys will
have a way of doing it.

>However there is nothing in the ABC spec that says the result needs
>to represent the same pitch.  The standard sensibly doesn't mandate
>equal temperament and ET should not be assumed.
>
>I've never tried doing custom intonations in BarFly, can it use
>different pitches for ^A and _B in the same piece?

No, it doesn't cater for more than twelve pitches per octave.  Of course
you could probably cobble together something for a particular piece by
co-opting one of the unused pitches and re-tuning it, but there's no
general solution for that.

Phil Taylor