Jack Campin wrote:

>In Barfly, "x" doesn't print but does play, like a "z".  So that example
>is in 5/4 with a rest and chord change on the 5th beat.
>
>Neither does the same thing using the "y" non-printing non-playing space
>work.  Try lining it up with a parallel voice containing four crotchets
>and see what you get.
>
>This ugly mess is the best I can do in BarFly to get those chords to line
>up with four crotchets in another voice while retaining the semibreve:
>
>   V:1  "A" C4 "Am"y4  |
>   V:2      GyGy   Gy2G|
>
>and every additional voice would require quadratically more y's to sort
>the misalignments out.  An example of why I don't show other people the
>ABCs I've written with y's in.

Not true.  The timing of 'y' counts for vertical alignment only, so all
bars should contain the same total amount of time (and therefore the same
time value of ys) to align.  Each additional voice will need to contain
exactly y4 (divided up appropriately to the notes) to keep the alignment right

The real problem here is not with abc at all - it's the fact that guitar
chords by convention do not contain any timing information.  When you
write two chords over a single note in conventional notation you are
leaving the timing of the chords to be decided by the intelligent
musician who reads it.  You can't expect a computer to do that.
Using invisible rests (x or y) won't help a player program to play the
chords in the correct places either.  The only way to do that would be to
introduce time values into the chords (or put them in a separate voice with
rests as Atte did in the first place).  Actually, I think I like that
method best of all, even if it's not what happens in conventional notation.

Phil Taylor