I stated on my homepage (in french) the pros and cons (in my
opinion) for abc :

- Only one whole file for a collection of tunes (unlike midi...)
- quick to download (due to compactness (see above) and size) (but
you know all that)
- quite easy to transcribe (if one can a bit music) and really
*fast* to enter score (more than any click'n'whateverelse
expensive WYSIWYG software)
- the bare partition (unlike abc, not all midifiles can be
properly imported in sequencers : there is often notation
problems)
- can easily generate postscript (and then pdf) files
- meeting nice people sharing their works, and more involved in
music than in money-making (I hope it will stay like that). So
rarely nowadays on internet.

- no "human" expression in it (midi can a bit), no nuancies (but
who really care ?)
- need to know a bit solfege to use it (but it may be an advantage
if it can give pple the idea to learn more musical theory thanks
abc)
- limited for some musics (in amplitude, even if one can write
E,,,,,,,,, or a'''''''''')
- an ambiguous name (there is many thinks not related to music
with abc in it, so it gives bad clues in websearch : lilypond or
mup are "unique" and more original names (I guess))
- the abc-draft evolves slowly (is it frozen now ?) :)

>The only faster way to get music into a computer is to play it on
>a midi keyboard, and even then you are usually going to have to
>do a lot of post entry editing.

maybe to use a notation scanning software. I've never use one but
it's certainly faster than abc (abc is good for folk music, but
for more than 2 staffs partitions it becomes a bit tricky). We can
dream of a software that could scan a paper partition and
transcribe it directly to abc.

>phone (sorry, but I don't know which manufacturer) with an
undocumented
>feature that allows her to enter her own tunes for the phone to
play
>when it rings.  The syntax is a bare-bones, stripped-down version
of
>abc.  Imagine having access to 100,000 tunes (thanks to John
Chambers's
>web bot) to download into your cell phone!

Oh noooo, please ! Don't reveal the existence of abc to the masses
! The abc sites all around the web will be parasited with those
"custom your phone" rubbish :)