>With  the  current  syntax,  a  {  can't  be
>followed by a digit. So the suggestion is to allow a digit after
{ as
>a note size.

Wonderfull idea !
Maybe I ask too much, but is it intended to have the possibility
to have those small notes in parenthesis also ? We can find this
notation in some partitions. But it's not primordial.

>Presumably this will be fairly rare, so an alternative would be
to use
>the
>letters H---Z. For example, abc could have something like
>!this note has a tiny head!
>/.../
>|ABc Qe fg|  or |ABc [Qe3f3g3]|

I personnaly find this less elegant, because we always get
confused with a new letter which is not a note, it's less readable
than to use an other ascii character such as {1
And with John Chamber suggestion, it gives the possibility to have
different note sizes.

And eventually it's maybe possible to redefine the different {1 {2
{3 etc. with your system so that we could have not only different
sizes, but also different "shapes" (notes between parenthesis,
between brackets...), like for example in html coding with the
<h1> <h2> ... tags which may looks different if you redefine them
with css.

U:{2 = !this note has a tiny head!
U:{3 = !this note has a head between parenthesis!
U:{4 = !this note has a head between brackets!
U:{5 = !this note has a less tiny head than {2! etc.

of course we should also find standardized shortcuts for the
different styles (for example !smallhead!, !tinyhead! etc.) :)

Alternatively, we could use abcm2ps-like commands to redefine the
style of the heads :
(like for %%measurebox etc.) %%headstyle 3 parenthesis ,
%%headstyle 4 brackets , %%headstyle 5 tiny1   %%headstyle 6 tiny3
etc.

>!smallhead! doesn't convey any inherent *musical* information
about
>the work, it's solely related to the printed form.

one interesting feature of the abc notation is it can be...
printed !